T Plant is located in the 200 West Area of the Hanford Site.
When construction was complete on T Plant in 1944, it was the world’s first large-scale plutonium separation facility. A series of chemical processes at T Plant extracted plutonium from uranium fuel rods irradiated at the B Reactor.
The plutonium processed at T Plant was used for the Trinity Test in New Mexico in July 1945 and in the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan on August 9, 1945. T Plant ceased plutonium separation in 1956 and in 1957 resumed service as a decontamination, repair and waste handling facility.